Paul has volunteered (was Re: Overloaded URIs must GO!)

Jonathan Borden jborden at mediaone.net
Mon May 31 17:33:39 BST 1999

Paul Hunter wrote:

> Using HTTP for URIs sounds intrinsically <em>bad</em> to me.  ...

	Aside from the evident fact that such practice goes against several
individial's internal sense of what is 'right' or 'wrong', this is the only
criticism I see of this practice. No one has offered a hard or practical
example of an actual problem this creates, aside from offending of the
sensibilities.

> Suppose we
> change that URI to something more like:
> http://mycompanyname.com/XSL/Transform/1.0
> (Just because most companies' web space may not be as tightly administered
> as the W3C's...)  What happens when my web administrator decides to put a
> default web page there, which happens to be a page about his cat Mittens?
> Apart from the facetiousness of this example, we have the potential of the
> same URI pointing to two completely different resources; I
> thought this was
> not supposed to happen with URIs.

	Okay, suppose this happens... when the URI is being used as a namespace, no
attempt is made to resolve the URL, and resolution of the URL has no meaning
in terms of namespaces, so ... no problem.

	A namespace URI does not point to a resource. The URI is used only as a
unique identifier.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)