Paul has volunteered (was Re: Overloaded URIs must GO!)

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Mon May 31 18:37:07 BST 1999

Hi David,

David said:
Some day (perhaps very soon) URNs will also become usable as Namespace
URIs, but they're not there yet, unless you expect ordinary people to
start registering NIDs with IANA.  URNs are still missing that last
tiny step for usability.

Didier says:
Don't forget David that all domain names have to be _registered_ also. We
are talking here of a name space mechanism. The hname name space could be
organized such that every body wanting to publish their documentation could
do it by registering not to IANA but to an other group. There is only one
registration to IANA: the hname name space. After that, we need to register
to an organization having a DNS server able to handle the URN name
resolution record. The ideal situation is to have to organization as backup.
However, if an ordinary person (as you say) wants to just include a name
space reference (a no public documentation), or do not care about the fact
that the URL is location dependent, could use URLs. Anyway both URN and URL
are URI. If we state that a namespace reference could be a URI then we can
use either a URL or a URN. It all depend on the level of sophistication,
document longevity, location independence we want to reach.

Also, what would be your reaction if people where to say that XML should not
be employed because its not there yet :-)

PS: about the question Where can we find IANA. This is a good question. I'll
check and come with something.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind at netfolder.com