Are Namespace URLs illegal?

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon May 31 20:32:00 BST 1999

Paul Prescod writes:

 > Well, the first problem is that it is wrong: it is in violation of
 > IETF specifications about the semantics of http: URLs. Personally,
 > I think that standards incompliance should be argument enough.

Paul is begging the question here -- it needs to be proven that the
use of URLs for Namespace URIs violates any standards, so it is not
fair to jump ahead as if the first point were already proven.

Personally, I'd guess that since the IETF spec governs the use of URLs
only for retrieving resources over the Internet, and Namespaces are a
different use domain, the IETF specs are applicable only to the extent
that the Namespaces REC says they are.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com