XHTML 1.0 returned to HTML WG

Arnold, Curt Curt.Arnold at hyprotech.com
Thu Nov 4 00:28:38 GMT 1999

Dave Winer wrote:

>>Yes yes yes!!
>>
>>That would get XML into the minds of HTML coders and would start a process
>>for other applications of XML to take off.
>>
>>Dave

After ranting on application profiles, etc.  I wanted to clarify that it
doesn't seem to be necessary to get an answer to application profiles for
XHTML to be useful.  Application profiles would be a useful thing to have
resolved for other XML applications, but doesn't seem necessary for XHTML
1.0.  The three namespaces thing seemed to be adding a feature to XHTML 1.0
that HTML 4.01 did not have.  As a new feature, it should have probably been
reserved for XHTML 1.1 or whatever.

Namespace free XHTML would be fine with me.  However, if XHTML must deal
with application profiles, I'd like it to establish a pattern that other xml
applications could follow.  However, I think that is better left to the
schema group (and maybe to XML Schema 1.1)