dynamic XML?

Dan Gunter DKGunter at lbl.gov
Thu Nov 4 03:01:49 GMT 1999

Hi,

I am working with some people who want to publish performance monitoring
information in a standard exchange format. The details of the common
vocabulary are still being discussed, but even at this early stage there
are some technical questions about XML's use for such a task.

One question is: assuming that the "things" being monitored, as well as
the "characteristics" of the things being recorded, can change over
time, is there a good way to dynamically add (even subtract) bits and
pieces of the schema during the lifetime of the connection? I was
thinking of something along the lines of a special couple of tags that
tell the client to add/remove "things" or "characteristics" from its
expected monitored events. Perhaps some of you have seen variations on
this problem before?

As a side note, XSchema looks more attractive than DTD's for this
application (strict typing, among other things, would be nice).

Thanks,

--
[One Cyclotron Road, MS:50B-2239, Berkeley, CA 94720 ]