XHTML 1.0 returned to HTML WG

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Thu Nov 4 16:19:42 GMT 1999

"Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin at mitretek.org> writes:

> It seems to me that using one of the (3 - or is it to be 1?) xhtml
> namespaces could basically have three reasons.  The other posts are
> of course talking about them, but I thought I'd just condense them
> together in one place.

[snip]

None of those points looks very familiar to me, and they certainly
have not come up much in discussions.  I hear two main arguments for
HTML Namespaces:

1. To allow processors to distinguish non-HTML markup in HTML
   documents (text/html); and

2. To allow processors to distinguish HTML markup in general XML
   documents (text/xml).

I care most about (2), but others care more about (1).  They both boil
down to the ability to make an HTML/not-HTML distinction easily.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/