WML vs. XHTML

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sat Nov 6 03:45:15 GMT 1999

Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

> Jeffrey E. Sussna wrote:
>
> > >    <ACTION TYPE=ACCEPT TASK=GOSUB VARS=host=$(hostname)
>
> > Any language that contains a construct called "GOSUB" deserves dustbin
> > status. :-)

> Indeed. Check out this little snip from Rohit Khare's "W* Effect Considered
> Harmful":

So: in geek

>         One way to think of WML is as programming 3270 screens
>         with a very simple BASIC.

frame

>         An application is delivered to
>         the handset as a 'deck', the deck is

named fragments

>         which allocates a corresponding
>         pool of storage space for variables.

so that a namespace names

>         Individual 'cards'
>         are executed on entry and exit

and formats

>         to render the handset
>         screen:

and binds namespaces

>        they can fill in (shared) variables,

dynamically

>         rerender on
>         external event notifications (e.g. call completed), and

names bound to controls

 >        bind further actions to a small set of buttons.

format geometry for interaction, morphs, multiD, aggregate sets

>         The
>         display calls themselves are essentially character-cell
>         oriented, with tab alignment and bold, italic,
>         underline, big, and small fonts. Tables, frames, colors,
>         and so on are not supported.

binds format.  go3D.  kids hate buttons. give them personalities
and adventure.  the world is not small nor is the reach of our
tools to communicate and be human together.  make it more
exciting than windows and win.

>         Semantic HTML markup like
>         <ADDRESS> must be stripped out. Even simple declarative
>         HTML doesn't mean what it used to -- <P> no longer
>         begins a new line. 'Graphics' support is intended mainly
>         for optional icons in place of text menus; no clickable
>         menu maps or such.  WML is really a scripting language...

which is what you need for prebinding information to occasionally
connected devices.

The nice thing about lowlyFrame design:  the initial allocation of IDs
is clean if the
trees name attribute sets.  One id to fetch a subtree.

Give up some semantics in that instance to get more certain binding of
control to value by device.
The next instance is yours to transform as you will.  Accumulate
namespaces temporally.
Schemas must be temporally adaptive.  That is why XML schema.  That is
why namespaces.

We do it anyway.  How many messages are used in this system which are
NOT
timestamped?  Can we make schema more adaptive by finding principles for
applying
that timestamping more efficiently?  Types aggregate in time.
TreeClusters
of named events and types are bound such that when it changes in one
part of the
tree, it changes in all the others at the same time.  A variable is
forced to
be polite because it is unique so it changes at the same time in any of
the
dimensions in which it is represented.

> That's just the tip of the iceberg -- check out how they've "reinvented" TCP/IP:

For the protocol gypsies to say.  Pre-aggregating trees is a way to make
the pgs work less.

len