Schemas coming of age: use them

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Wed Nov 10 00:44:01 GMT 1999

Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> I'd like to write a lengthy reply about the surprising willingness to
> see conspiracy where encouragement was all that was intended, but I'm
> too busy trying to pull together the hard work underway in the XML
> Schema WG for the next draft to bother . . . :-)

Unkind, Henry.  Steve is recognizing that Tim's *encouragement* from
the position of Director to w3c chairs has "moral majesty", therefore,
is a real order to get in line with the draft(s).

That said, we have a lot of work to do to use the schemas particularly
where we have language bindings via IDLs to do.  Because we have many
separate efforts and different authorities to which we must determine
how the names bind, we also will be cleaning this up for a long time.
When we have to bind to the ISO level, we also have to work within
five year change cycles.  So, it would have been a good idea for
Tim to ask if everyone felt ready to make the change.  Personally,
I'm for it because I need dynamic schemas to cope with time-volatile
definitions.

Otherwise, we're off to the races.  Place your bets, gentlefolk.

len