Feeler for SML (Simple Markup Language)

Leigh Dodds ldodds at ingenta.com
Thu Nov 11 14:20:51 GMT 1999

> What I have in mind is a subset of XML, I'll call it Simple
> (or Stupid) Markup Language (SML) for now, that simplifies XML
> down to the bare essentials.

...snip!...

>The key point to consider is whether there is
> a broad enough need for such a subset of XML.

What would we gain from SML that we couldn't gain from only
producing (and therefore processing) XML documents but
without any of the 'additional' features?

If I don't want to have attributes, or PIs, or use entities,
etc. then I don't *have* to. Granted the SAX/DOM APIs
still provide support for these constructs, but
I can still ignore them surely? (and I still retain
the option to use them at a later date).

Thats assuming that I've got total control over both
the system and the documents. If I haven't got control over the
documents/fragments/whatever, then my system will have to assume it
receives XML, just in case it does.

L.