external parsed entites (was: A unique ID question ?)

Lauren Wood lauren at sqwest.bc.ca
Thu Nov 11 18:35:00 GMT 1999

On 11 Nov 99, at 11:12, Kragen Sitaker wrote:

> Hmm.  So the reason external parsed entities are useful to you is that
> you use an editor that can't handle editing a 5-megabyte file
> painlessly?  If you were using Emacs, which easily handles editing
> multi-hundred-megabyte files, would your need for external parsed
> entities go away?

It isn't only editing. The W3C DOM spec is authored in XML and
then transformed into the language bindings, HTML, PDF, etc.
There are several editors who work on the specification, often
simultaneously (e.g., when we 're trying to get out the next public
draft). We upload onto the W3C server when we've finished editing
whichever chunk of the spec we're working on. The chaos of
locking a complete spec until someone has finished editing their bit
would be disruptive (OK, we could use a complete XML repository
solution, but we don't, we use a standard CVS repository). And the
time it would take on a slow modem link to upload the complete
spec is also large. It's much easier to work in small chunks:
quicker to upload and download, easier to manage simultaneous
work, etc. External entities are just what we need and use.

Lauren