Feeler for SML (Simple Markup Language)

Fabio Arciniegas A. l-arcini at uniandes.edu.co
Fri Nov 12 00:07:29 GMT 1999

- ...
-o No non-character entity references
-o No predefined character entities (I am iffy on this one)
- ...

- What do you guys think?

I think It is true that it saves a lot of work (at expenses of some features
that i confess i like, e.g attributes), therefore making it possible to use
smaller, faster parsers. But I would be a bit concerned about
interoperability  issues...

I think that in order to keep things interoperable, it could be an
"optimizing choice" for an application to use an "SML parser". The process
would be something like having the app ready for XML parsing and then when
faced with a PI(? -maybe something else-) stating that this is SML,
switching parsers...
But only as a convinient runtime choice. Implementing an application that
*only* manages SML wouldn't seem convenient to me in many important respects
like interoperability and extensibility...

- ...
-o No Attributes (ouch!)
-o No PI, Comments, Notations, or CDATA sections
-o No document type declaration
-o UTF-8 encoding only
- subject to change later depending on your capacity to scream
convincingly.  The key point to consider is whether there is
a broad enough need for such a subset of XML.