XML and SML

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Sat Nov 13 07:39:37 GMT 1999

Rick,

>I apologize to Don Park: there was no intention to be discourteous.

No offense taken.  I was just trying to see whether I was being
abnoxious unintentionally.  I tend to do that often <g>.

>And, as for whether SML is a distraction from XML schemas, how many
>postings have there been on XML-DEV about the structure drafts?  There
>have been a couple of good ones about the datatypes, but not on the
>structures, that I recall.  I predict that the moment that the XML
>Schema becomes a recommendation, this mailing list will bustle with
>well-reasoned calls for  simplified XML Schema--alas too late.

I think there has not been much discussion over XML schema
because not many of us have read it throughly yet.  I agree that
the XML Schema spec needs more discussion and now seems like
the best time to do it.  Would you mind if I propose Simple XML
Schema (SXS)?  Just kidding (for now ;-).  Frankly, I am starting
to get dizzy with all the standards coming out and I am trying to
be more frugal with where I spend my time.

BTW, your Schematron stuff is great.  I thought Dave Raggett's
Assertion Grammar idea was cool but Schematron takes an interest
approach to achieve the same.  It makes me wonder why more people
are not paying more attention to it.  Discussion of Schematron
should make a very interesting thread.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com

PS: I'll take a look at your short-tag system.  Thanks for the tips.