SML answers for SML problems

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Sat Nov 13 21:19:17 GMT 1999

Tim Bray writes:
> Argh!  Heresy.  The single root element is one of the Good Things about
> XML.  It means that you know unambiguously when an information unit has
> ended in a way that's decoupled from the closure (or not) of the socket
> by the programmer at the other end.  -T.

But you can have comments and PIs after the end of the root element.
So the single root element doesn't really solve this problem.

One protocol I remember reading about uses ]]>]]> to separate XML
documents, since that's a sequence that can't occur inside a legal XML
document.

--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!