Feeler for SML (Simple Markup Language)

Matthew Gertner matthew at praxis.cz
Mon Nov 15 16:27:19 GMT 1999

To me this post is a perfect illustration of why something like SML is
not necessary or desirable. In terms of necessity, it seems more than
likely that embedded and handheld devices are going to work with a
specific XML application (e.g. WML) rather than providing generic XML
processing services. So as long as this application does not use the
features listed in Don's original post, the issues of memory consumption
and processing speed vanish (and I am sceptical as to how significant
these issues would be anyway). In the event, WML uses comments and CDATA
but no processing instructions.

In terms of desirability, Tim hit the nail on the head. Bifurcating into
two distinct languages can only be a bad thing for the overall impact of
XML. The risk of confusion is simply too high. As several others have
pointed out, the existence of too many varying levels of conformance (de
facto if not de jure) and optional features in SGML was the primary
motivation for inventing XML in the first place.

Matthew