DTD for rfc822 messages?

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Mon Nov 15 17:24:34 GMT 1999

Hello -

I've searched the archives for xml-dev and xml-l, looking for a DTD with
which to markup archived email, and stumbled across a couple of posts:

 http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1998/0802.html
 http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1998/0805.html

If I understand the approach being recommended, the DTD would contain a
unique element for every possible header, which would seem to present
some serious maintenance headaches, especially for non-standard headers.
I'd think something like this would make more sense:

<hdr type="Received" value="...">
<hdr type="Received" value="...">
<hdr type="From" value="some at one.com">
<hdr type="Subject" value="Re: the original subject">

but I could be wrong. For one thing, that may make it more difficult to
write XSL templates that process the info inside each hdr element. Comments?

Has any more work been done on such a DTD? I looked at schema.net and
the various XML sites, but found nothing appropriate. If this is more
appropriate for XML-L, could someone let me know?

TIA,
Steve
--
business: http://hesketh.com ...custom medium- to large-scale web sites