Feeler for SML (Simple Markup Language)

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Mon Nov 15 17:23:03 GMT 1999

At 11:23 AM 11/15/99 -0500, Michael Champion wrote:
>Likewise I hope the SGML->XML world will understand that the same dynamics
>that drove the evolution from SGML to XML are still at work -- simplicity,
>conceptual clarity, and scalability are the characteristics of XML that the
>people in the EDI and WML worlds care about . They don't care about
>minimizing the differences between XML and SGML, they don't want to be
>burdened with supporting markup or APIs that they will never need, they just
>need somethat that works for them ... and will either "go their own way" or
>go in a hundred different ways if the XML world doesn't meet them halfway.

So what do you recommend?  Specifically please.

My feeling is that XML 1.0 as it exists now works OK for EDI.  Yes, it
could have a lot less and still work for EDI, but the extras don't seem
to get actively in the way.

As for the WML world, the WAP-folk have apparently taken the decision that
none of IP/HTTP/HTML/XML are appropriate for them without significant rework.
Anyone is free to disagree, but they're the ones building the cellphones.

I don't think that the EDI and WAP use-cases are really in the same
place on the map.  -Tim