Feeler for SML (Simple Markup Language)

Thomas B. Passin tpassin at mitretek.org
Mon Nov 15 18:24:22 GMT 1999

Seems to me that there are several reasons to have commonality between XML and
WML, whether by SML or otherwise.
- Potential use of same tools (parsers, formatters, query engines, etc.).  Also
a larger  community developing them.
- A much larger pool of people who are familiar with working with the markup and
the tools (i.e., xml + wml have more developers than just wml alone).
- Much easier conversions between regular xml documents and documents designed
for wml-like uses.

Many people have noted that you can get most of "SML" by just not using various
XML features.  For wml-ish uses it would seem that there is a big need to handle
document fragments - another big topic here recently.  So when we get an xml
document fragment mechanism people are happy with, what's wrong with the wml
people standardising on an xml subset rather than a non-xml language?

Maybe the full xml document fragment mechanism would be too heavy-weight for
wml-ish applications, since there could be so much context information that
might be needed.  Then the wml standard could still be well-formed xml except
for the fragment wrapper.  This should still be relatively easy to handle for
wml-xml conversions.

So I'm saying that wml should become more closely overlapped with xml.

Tom Passin

From: Robert La Quey <robertl1 at home.com>

<snip>
>>What I have in mind is a subset of XML, I'll call it Simple
>>(or Stupid) Markup Language (SML) for now, that simplifies XML
>>down to the bare essentials.  Ideally, it should also be a
>>subset of Canonical XML.  Here are some ideas:
>>
>>o No Attributes (ouch!)
>>o No PI, Comments, Notations, or CDATA sections
>>o No document type declaration
>>o UTF-8 encoding only
>>o No non-character entity references
>>o No predefined character entities (I am iffy on this one)
</snip>