Feeler for SML (Simple Markup Language)

Sean Mc Grath digitome at iol.ie
Mon Nov 15 18:33:19 GMT 1999

[Tim Bray]

>>I would argue they do get actively in the way.
>>Sure, the EDI stuff probably does not need external parsed entities
>>and who knows what else. But if EDI software is going to
>>truthfully "use XML" and "be fully XML compliant" then it
>>cannot just barf when these things appear in XML docs.
>
>Hmm.... just specify the use of a nonvalidating processor.  These have the
>right to ignore external entities, not to barf, just to ignore them.  If
>the system is specified in this way, nobody will send external entities.
>(Which lord knows they shouldn't be doing in ecommerce-land anyhow).
>
>Next problem? -Tim

But ignoring the external entity references does not solve
the problem does it? The app won't work and given that the
XML stuff is going to be quite low down in the software layers,
these bugs will be hard to track down.

For "barf" in the above read "will not work for non-obvious reasons".

regards,

<Sean uri="http://www.digitome.com/sean.html">
Developers Day co-Chair WWW9, April 2000, Amsterdam
<uri>http://www.www9.org</uri>
</Sean>