Feeler for SML (Simple Markup Language)

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 15 21:08:59 GMT 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> The UTF-*'s are logically equivalent to most users, in that they share
> the property that almost no real-world data objects are encoded in either.

Quite true, from what I know, if you don't consider all the documents
encoded in ASCII (which is a subset of UTF-8).  Many of them aren't
tagged as to encoding; assert they're UTF-8 not ASCII, and disproof is
often going to be impossible!

Worth noting however is that the IETF recognized a policy last year to push
the use of UTF-8 in new protocols.  Other registered encodings are fine,
but UTF-8 support is mandatory.  See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2277.txt
for a few more details; it's "best current practices" on the Internet.

- Dave