expat as a shared library

Steve Ball Steve.Ball at zveno.com
Mon Nov 15 22:35:10 GMT 1999

Brian Hurt wrote:

> I'm looking at building expat as a shared library (.so) on linux, to make
> it easier to build into programs.  Searching the archives reveals only one
> message, from James Thompson, back in july, and no replies.
>
> Some questions:
> 1) Is there any reason people are opposed to this?
> 2) Mr. Thompson ran into problems in July- have they been resolved?
> 3) What is the approved method for submitting patches to expat?  Just post
> them to the list?  Send them to James Clark?  Is there a cvs or ftp
> repository they should be going in?

TclExpat - the Tcl interface to expat - builds expat as a shared library.
That's the easiest way to load the package into a Tcl interpreter.

Building a shared library is quite easy.  TclExpat builds expat in the
usual way, but adds the -PIC flag.  It then takes the object files and
constructs the shared library.  The know-how on how to do that on various
platforms is actually taken from the Tcl configuration, since Tcl is
very good at determining which compile and link flags are ncessary.
I can dig up some more specific details if you require.

I don't the answer to (3), but I think sending them to JC is the way to go.

HTHs,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   Swish XML Editor    | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |   Web Tcl Complete    |      XML XSL