APIs vs Markup

DuCharme, Robert DuCharmR at moodys.com
Tue Nov 16 14:44:30 GMT 1999

At 08:00 AM 11/13/99 -0800, Don Park wrote:
>For example, log data tends to just accumulate
>and one has to use XML hacks to make the data meet
>the root element constraint.

It would be simple enough to append logEntry elements to whatever.log and
then, when you need to process it as a valid XML document, to process this:

  <!DOCTYPE myLog [
  <!ELEMENT myLog (logEntry+)>
  <!-- declare logEntry, etc. -->
  <!ENTITY logfile SYSTEM "whatever.log">
  ]>
  <myLog>&logfile;</myLog>

I would consider this an obvious use of a basic XML feature (external
general entities); is this what you meant by "XML hack"?

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii