Feeling good about SML

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Tue Nov 16 21:11:16 GMT 1999

>I think it would be a sad mistake for people to think that XML's
>internationalization is there merely to provide extra markets for
>bloated monopolies, though with luck it may.  For some of us,
>the major benefit in XML is that provides a clear toolkit by which
>much of the mess of the 70s and 80s can be cleaned up; removing
>internationalization from XML does not give Simple Markup
>Language, but Uncle Sam Markup Language.

I was born in Korea so I appreciate your position.  However,
your opposition of SML is based on the assumption that SML will
only support UTF-8.  The list of SML features is preliminary
and, personally, I do not mind seeing SML support both UTF-8
and UTF-16 although not necessarily at the same time since
the application might require either encoding but not both.

>This is why I feel bad about SML. Please don't derail XML.

First of all, I do not believe there is any danger of XML being
derailed.  Second, is it not true that XML derailed SGML?

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com