Feeling good about SML

Reynolds, Gregg greynolds at datalogics.com
Tue Nov 16 23:13:04 GMT 1999

The big difference is the SGML choo-choo was not going anywhere, so
derailing it would have been quite a feat.  The funding that has gone into
XML was not taken from the SGML budget.

But I would not discourage DPSML.  (How about "VML", on grounds that "V" is
half of "X"?  Or maybe "\ML" or "/ML" would be better.)  My own wishlist,
since XMas is approaching, is that Santa deliver 1) a charstring -> tag
mapping so we can recapture the glories of shortrefs, and 2) a distinction
between structural and attributional tags.  I want to be able to say that
structural, but <quote> is not, it only slathers its content with
attributes.  I mean, isn't it dumb to say that e.g. highlighted text is not
at the same _structural_ level as the surrounding text?  Santa's Markup
Language, anyone?

-grinning gregg