UTF-8 vs UTF-16...? (Was: Feeling good about SML)

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Wed Nov 17 11:04:42 GMT 1999

> Er... AFAIK you can represent the exactly the same characters in UTF-8
> and UTF-16, since both are transformation formats of the full 32 bit
> Unicode.  Maybe I'm missing something here...?

I don't think this is true.

UTF-8 and UTF-16 are transformations formats of ISO10646, not Unicode.

UTF-8 gives access to all 2^31 characters from the UCS repertoire.

UTF-16, however, only gives access to the equivalent of Unicode with the
surrogate extension mechanism, ie the first 17 planes of the UCS.

James Tauber