Parser compliance

Richard Lanyon rgl at decisionsoft.com
Wed Nov 17 21:01:36 GMT 1999

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Tim Bray wrote:
> At 12:30 PM 11/17/99 +0000, Richard Lanyon wrote:
> >On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, James Clark wrote:

> >> XML 1.0 DTD validation isn't very useful for the things
> >> I'm interested in and I want to keep the code size small.

> >It's not useful for our processing, either, but it's possible that some
> >people might want our processor to tell them what's wrong with their XML
> >before processing it.

> I have often wondered where this myth arose that validating against a DTD
> will tell you, in useful real-world terms, "what's wrong with your XML".

Not from me, that's for sure. But if people want validation from their XML
processors (and people do, it would seem, possibly because so many XML
books spend so much time talking about validity and DTDs), then we'd
better give it to them or someone else will...

--
Richard Lanyon (Software Engineer) |     "The medium is the message"
XML Script development,            |             - Marshall McLuhan