DTD Question - PCDATA followed by an optional element

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Wed Nov 17 23:16:32 GMT 1999

Norman Samuelson asks:
>To include the comment, I would like to be able to simply say:
>
>   <!ELEMENT comment (#PCDATA)>
>   <!ELEMENT rho0 (#PCDATA, comment?)>
>
>That doesn't seem to be acceptable.  I also tried:
>
>   <!ELEMENT rho0 ((#PCDATA) | (#PCDATA, comment))>
>
>Is it possible to do what I want?

No.  Section 3.2.2 of REC-xml:
	An element type has mixed content when elements of that type
	may contain character data, optionally interspersed with child
	elements. In this case, the types of the child elements may be
	constrained, but not their order or their number of
	occurrences:

The best you can do is (#PCDATA|comment)*.

--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!