documenting schemas/DTDs

Robin Cover robin at isogen.com
Thu Nov 18 13:00:29 GMT 1999

With respect to Eliot Kimber's endorsement of literate
programming style (applied to SGML/XML applications), and
David Megginson's "strong agreement" with Eliot's sentiments:

I have collected some references to experience with
"Literate Programming with SGML and XML" in:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xmlLitProg.html

- Robin Cover

-----------

On 18 Nov 1999, David Megginson wrote:

> "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot at isogen.com> writes:
>
> > My personal feeling, based on many years of painful experience
> > developing and maintaining DTDs of varying scale and complexity and
> > documenting same (including the original version of IBM's IBM ID Doc
> > application and the second edition of the HyTime architecture, both
> > massive documentation projects) is that the only practical way to
> > develop and manage non-trivial document types is by making the
> > documentation the primary definition, with the working declarations
> > extracted from it using some sort of make process.
>
> [snip]
>
> > If you are are creating DTD-syntax DTDs, the syntax of DTDs is simply
> > not up to the task of maintaining and managing documentation of any
> > useful sophistication.
>
> I agree very strongly with Eliot, perhaps because we both have a lot
> of experience in creating (rather than just processing) user
> documentation.
[...]