XML Memory Requirements (was Re: Feeling good about SML)

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 18 17:57:37 GMT 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> The performance is good enough that in Lark, the limiting factor was
> my lousy input buffering, not the character class checking; and Lark
> was always in the top half of the performance table. -Tim

I think that's pretty typical.  I've profiled several parsers by now,
and character class checking hasn't been a major issue ... usually
one or two percentage points CPU time for testing whether a character
works in a name (first/rest) or not.

The technique I used in Sun's parser may be good for many folk to steal.
It involves using the standard Character.getType() method (which has
access to lots of Unicode tables, and in recent JVMs uses native code
to quickly access them) and then filtering that output by the rules in
the XML spec.

- Dave