Parser compliance

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Fri Nov 19 00:45:10 GMT 1999

Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>I think that a large part of the reason book and article writers have
>focused on DTDs is their large (and relatively difficult) place in the
>XML 1.0 specification and the need to explain to people some kind of
>technical-sounding 'how' of creating new vocabularies.

I have long suspected that human brain has very limited ability to
ignore information and there is stress involved in doing so.  Yesterday,
I took the XML 1.0 spec and removed sections upon sections to create
a rough draft of the SML spec.  My goal was to feel the impact of such
simplification.  The result, to me at least, was very startlingly good.

Removal of DTD related sections alone was like taking a huge load off
my mind and the spec flows much smoother to boot.  I think most of us
have underestimated the amount of intellectual stress each piece of
detail places on our mind.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com