documenting schemas/DTDs

edwsm at us.ibm.com edwsm at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 19 14:38:22 GMT 1999

There's another school which holds that "syntax IS semantics".

A DTD for X.509 certificates allows me to express what parts of the
certificate I consider required, what parts of the certificate I consider
optional, as well as the legal forms of the parts themselves.

I can tell whether or not a certificate is valid, and also *why* (e.g. no
signature algorithm name was provided, the "not after" date was malformed).
I think that if I can answer "why" questions, I'm operating in the semantic
realm.

Meaning may only be conveyed (manifested?) in "running code or
human-readable prose", but the meaning is latent in the syntax, and
couldn't be conveyed if it wasn't already there.

Ed Smierciak

"Steven R. Newcomb" <srn at techno.com>@ic.ac.uk on 11/18/99 10:19:34 PM

Please respond to "Steven R. Newcomb" <srn at techno.com>

Sent by:  owner-xml-dev at ic.ac.uk