Using namespace prefix in attribute values

Peter Stark stark at corp.phone.com
Sun Nov 21 00:19:17 GMT 1999

I am considering using namespace prefixes in attribute values. I know that
some new W3C Recommendations do this. What I want is attribute values that
are globally unique; in my case, name of events. Are there any other
solutions I should consider, or is this the best with available technology?

<eventListener
	type="q:eventname"
	xmlns:q="urn:myevents">

	..do something..

</eventListener>

Pros:
+Attribute values can be globally unique.

Cons:
-The XML processor may not provide the namespace prefix to the application;
the application will get "q:eventname" but will not be able to find out to
what namespace "q" was bound to in the document.

Strawman's proposal:
What are the disadvantages of, in a DTD or schema, define a "QNAME"
attribute type?

Thanks,

Peter
Phone.com