Feeling good about SML

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Mon Nov 22 06:27:17 GMT 1999

>Hmm... in the part of the real world where I live, there seem
>relatively few impediments to the understanding, implementation,
>processing, and use of XML.  Just going on the evidence of what I see. -Tim

Maybe we live in different worlds.  Based on experience,
companies starting to adopt XML typically hire XML consultants
to design their systems.  Most of them are not confident that
they know all the details of XML and thus are compelled to use
outside help.  The problem is that once the consultant is done,
the companies do not have the expertise to maintain and extend
the design.  This is quite different from the way HTML has been
adopted and used.  People started using HTML immediately.

Also, there is a definite problem with the way XML is being
extended.  Because of the 'sacred main document structure'
constraint, extensions are being forced rely on awkward
features.  XML stylesheet standard used PI, DT4DTD uses
notations, XML namespace standard uses special attributes.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see people start using
comments for some new standard.  Removing the comment feature
will force the people to treat comment as first-class information.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com