Parser compliance

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon Nov 22 07:39:49 GMT 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> I have often wondered where this myth arose that validating against a DTD
> will tell you, in useful real-world terms, "what's wrong with your XML".

What's a DTD for, if not to tell you in useful, real-world terms what's
wrong with your XML? The question isn't whether it tell you everything
that's wrong, the question is whether it tells you an important subset
of everything?

One could just as easily complain that database schemas do not always
prevent bad data getting into a database and static type checking
doesn't prevent bad algorithms.

Bart: Dad, do I really have to brush my teeth?
Homer: No, but at least wash your mouth out with soda.