What is a document?

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Mon Nov 22 17:06:43 GMT 1999

Hi Mark,

Mark said:
However, I think that conceptually I prefer your thinking in some of
your previous messages. Shouldn't the means by which a 'document'
arrived at your server be almost irrelevant? The fact that it was
wrapped in BizTalk or SOAP, or was retrieved through WebDAV or DASL or
was emailed with MIME, or picked up by a resource statement in RDF makes
no difference to the content. I would suggest that the stylesheet
instruction to which you refer should be for the enclosed 'document',
which will change - chrysalis-like - from a fragment into a mature
document, able to hold its own in the world and strike out
independently.

Didier reply:
Yes mark, if we got the notion of scope for rendition it would be a lot
easier to assemble fragment/documents into a whole. Obviously, each
assembled part would have to take into account that it is included in a
whole for rendition (i.e like an HTML+CSS document for example). But, this
could be the beginning of modularity and re-use. So, what required though is
the concept of "scope of rendition".

Theoritically, if the rendition language to be used is XHTML+CSS, then it
should be possible to mix other domain languages (based on XML) with a CSS
style sheet and XML to XHTML transformed elements. Thus, the result could
be:

fragment 1 ----> CSS style sheet
   |____ fragment 1.1 --------> CSS style sheet
   |		|___ Fragment 2.1 ---------> XSLT style sheet
   |____ Fragment 1.2 --------> XSLT style sheet

So, what is missing is the notion of "aggregation" and the notion of "scope
of rendition". This could promote re-use and modularity.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind at netfolder.com
http://www.netfolder.com