SGML, XML and SML

Paul Tchistopolskii paul at qub.com
Mon Nov 22 23:02:37 GMT 1999

> I think it would be very nice, from a processing point of view, to have
> an XML variant that didn't have CDATA sections or DTDs (although entity
> definitions are useful!).

1. Why entities should live in the core, if one can use
any macroprocessor to get  *more*  flexible functionality?

2. How often do we need entities outside the DTD's ?

> I suspect CDATA sections are hard to live
> without if you're writing XML documents about HTML or XML, though.

Let us have <CDATA> element ? I think up to 3-5 elements with
'hardcoded' semantics will not cause a big problem.

I think it is not  a big problem in traditional languages
to use reserved keywords to avoid function names like
for() or if()  ;-)

However, this suggestion kills compatibility with XML.

It's why I think that SML vs XML is very similiar to
XML vs SGML.

At some point it would be easier to break the
compatibility than to support legacy. As far as I
understand, exactly that thing happened with
XML vs SGML.

However, because usualy that CDATA  is all
about turning < >    into &lt; and &gt;  it may be OK
to live without CDATA at all - we *already*  have
similiar problems with XML ;-)

Rgds. Paul.