SGML, XML and SML

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Nov 23 04:22:34 GMT 1999

At 10:50 PM 11/22/99 -0500, rev-bob at gotc.com wrote:
>The fact is, I *despise* palmtops when it comes to documents
>bigger than, say, your average shopping list.

I'm with the Rev, and you know what, so is history.  In my
embarrassingly lengthy career in this biz, I've seen the rise
and subsequent fall of database computers, lisp computers,
network computers, massively parallel computers, etc etc
ad nauseam.  The most generic general-purpose Von Neumann machine
always wins at the end of the day.  The easy-to-understand reason
is that that's where the big R&D bucks are being spent.  But maybe
there's something deeper.

Hey, I'm as Palm-Pilot-addicted as the next geek.  But I have yet
to see anything that I can stick in my pocket that has any chance
of replacing aforesaid general-purpose computer.   IMHO, the Toshiba
Portege series (or equivalent) has the perfect form-factor; large
enough to touch-type and see a few windows, small enough to go
in the puniest briefcase.  And still a general-purpose VonN box.

 -T.