If SAX == lex, then what == yacc?

Anthony B. Coates abcoates at TheOffice.net
Tue Nov 23 12:44:36 GMT 1999

** Reply to message from "James Tauber" <jtauber at jtauber.com> on Mon, 22 Nov
1999 09:20:43 -0500

Dear James,

	What you describe (included below) strikes me as using SAX events to build a
not-quite-DOM tree, which is exactly what I would expect FOP to do.  However, I
can envisage applications, operating on either large or streaming XML files,
where building a tree is not an appropriate solution.  Compilers (traditionally)
don't build a tree version of a source file before they start outputting the
object code to a file.  This is the kind of operation I am imagining.  I know I
myself would find it useful.  Mind you, I will be surprised if nobody has looked
into writing something like an XML version of 'yacc'.

	If someone published an XML Schema for C programs (don't laugh ...), what
would be the best way to write a compiler that reads this format but otherwise
runs like a typical C compiler?  Is there something that supercedes 'yacc' for
XML purposes?  I would be grateful for any suggestions from anyone.

	Cheers,
			Tony.

> FOP (and I suspect a lot of XML applications) takes SAX events and builds a
> tree structure out of objects that belong to a class depending on the
> element type or attribute. This tree building is handled through a largely
> generic builder and the mappings from element and attribute name to class
> name are provided to the builder at run-time. In the case of attributes (and
> perhaps eventually elements), the actual classes themselves are generated
> from XML schemas.
>
> I don't know if it is the equivalent of "yacc" but it seems to be a fairly
> generic way of dealing with event streams that still allows
> application-specific tailoring.

** Anthony B. Coates    >> mailto:abcoates at TheOffice.net <<
** Software Engineer (Java).  This is a 100% Pure Java e-mail.
** AJUG National Secretary (see http://www.ajug.org.au/)