Handheld computers

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Nov 24 15:26:34 GMT 1999

Tim Bray wrote:

> Hey, I'm as Palm-Pilot-addicted as the next geek.  But I have yet
> to see anything that I can stick in my pocket that has any chance
> of replacing aforesaid general-purpose computer.

Nobody claimed that palm computers were going to replace PCs. David
said:

 I do think that small devices will be at the centre of
> computing in the next decade (and a mostly MS-free centre, to boot).

The phrase that set of this hubub is vague enough that one could argue
that it is already true. How many MIPS are expended worldwide in
figuring out when to deploy air bags, at what temperature to microwave
pop-corn, switch cells, decode DVDs, unscramble satellite symbols and so
forth.

As the buzzheads at Comdex say: it's the PC *plus* era.

"Like most religious texts, the XML 1.0 spec has proven itself
internally-inconsistent, so we're going to have to invent some kind of
exegetical method now to show how it's really all an allegory." - Anon