Handheld computers

Matthew Gertner matthew at praxis.cz
Wed Nov 24 18:14:14 GMT 1999

You forgot:

4 - CDATA is redundant, entities are a less elegant solution to various
problems that could be solved with XLink and/or schemas, processing
instructions and comments would be better structured using normal markup
and notations are just weird mime types. These features increase
complexity without adding significant value and only found their way
into XML in the first place because certain vested interests wanted them
to ease the migration path from SGML to XML. SML will let the market
decide whether it wants these features, and once we discover that very
few people do then we can rename it XML 2.0 and be rid of them forever.

Not that I subscribe to this view or anything. ;-)

Matt

Michael Champion wrote:
<snip/>
> 1 - Yes, Post-PD Devices need something like SML because they *will* process
> (not just display) data and every byte/cycle is precious on such limited
> devices.  If the XML community does not help standardize a simplified subset
> of XML, then the vendors will go off in their own directions and it will be
> chaos.
>
> 2 - Yes, but XML 1.0 is perfectly well suited for Post-PC devices because
> it's not really all that bloated and/or the devices will soon have all the
> power that an XML 1.0 processor would need.  Bifurcating the XML standard
> would lead to chaos.
>
> 3 - No, the question is moot.  Just because some these devices support
> specialized XML-based languages such as WML doesn't mean that the devices
> themselves will need more generalized XML tools; it will all be done on the
> server side where there is power to spare.  SML is pointless, and Don Park
> will be eating paper for breakfast when he comes to his senses.
<snip/>