ANNOUNCEMENT: DSDs a new schema language supporting XSLT

Oren Ben-Kiki oren at capella.co.il
Thu Nov 25 08:37:09 GMT 1999

DSD has specified as one of its goals:

"... expressive power of DSDs should be close to that of XSLT ..."

This raises the question of why not to use XSLT directly, now that we have
the <xsl:message> construct (a document is valid if and only if applying the
XSLT "schemasheet" does not invoke any <xsl:message> calls).

Admittedly DSD's syntax is nicer, but it isn't clear to me that the same
effect can't be achieved with a "standard schema template library" for XSLT.
Such library could provide services for "schemasheets" - for example, some
sort of regular expression support. In the worst case, maybe adding a small
number of basic constructs to XSLT for this purpose might be required; isn't
this better then inventing a whole new language?

Share & Enjoy,

    Oren Ben-Kiki