Linking a XML document to its schema

John Aldridge john.aldridge at informatix.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 18:13:25 GMT 1999

At 17:20 25/11/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>[ web-proofing you instance->DTD connections, with an eye on schemas]
>
>You're not an idiot, but there is a partial solution which is better
>than the one you've tried, namely, a relative URL, e.g.
>
>   <!DOCTYPE Linestyle SYSTEM "MyApp.dtd">
>
>then you've made minimal assumptions about the directory structure
>on your clients.

I guess this would be workable in a tightly constrained system which
guaranteed that the XML files would only ever be written to one (or a few)
locations.

In our case, though, the location is under customer control (via a
"File->Save As..." command, or similar), and I don't think it'd be
acceptable to tell our customers that they must copy the DTD to any
directory in which they ever save an XML file.

>We're certainly trying to improve the situation for use cases like
>yours in XML Schema.

That's good news.  Does "XML Schema Composition Task Force Report: Partial
draft (1.2)" describe the most recent published thinking on this subject?
I'll go away and read it.

Thanks for your help.
--
Cheers,