Why I Hate Palmtops (was: Re: SGML, XML and SML)

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Fri Nov 26 08:24:59 GMT 1999

>Agreed, but that doesn't answer the question of "Why XML?".
>Why not ASN.1, SGML, SML, or a non-standard binary encoded
>XML that might be more suitable over small pipes?  The proxy
>on the last-hop to the cell phone can take care of bidirectional
>conversion, right?

In the very-near future, we will have every darn appliances and
gadgets talking to each other behind our back because the synergy
of them combined will result in far greater level of service.
Any electronic gadgets that doesn't speak the common language will
get booted out of the market quicker than good old Beta from Sony.

As to the question of "Why XML?", the answer is "Why Not?"

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com