XML Application Servers

Sebastien Sahuc ssahuc at imediation.com
Fri Nov 26 08:45:11 GMT 1999

> I'm using XML as part of a Java servlet-driven framework.
> The servlets implement the control logic, and interact with EJBs
which implement business logic and DB access.

I like this approach since it the one we deserve!

> The servlet collects output data in a hash-table.  Then, I
> (plan to) run a
> template-processor, which splices this data into existing XML
> templates,
> constructing an abstract view of the page. The templating
> system here is
> similar to HTML templating systems like FreeMarker and
> WebMacro.  Templates
> don't contain logic, just layout.

Sound similar to the Cocoon publishing framework, expect that your
control logic is handled by the servlet itself. This latter point
should, IMHO, be also XML driven, a la XSP (still from Cocoon), since
logic description -SHOULD NOT- be hard-coded in servlet but rather
scripted, and eventually compiled on the fly by the server processor.
In our project we don't yet clearly seperate the logic from the
content, but our approach is the following : We can express Business
Object behaviour in XML, say simple, actions on a EJB are writen in
XML and result from such action, is still XML, that way, the XSL
processor, in the last step, provide the formatting into HTML for
client that need it.

May you need more information, don't hesitate.

Sebastien