Handheld computers

KenNorth KenNorth at email.msn.com
Fri Nov 26 09:45:43 GMT 1999

> Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> > My first 2.5 years programming was on assembler for real-time
> > controllers,
> > it could take 3 months to write a program and then 3 months to figure
> > out
> > how to make it fit into the PROM.

> Wow ... never thought I'd see that word again!

Which word -- assembler or fit? Both words seem to have disappeared from the
vocabulary of today's programmers.

There was a time that, even when programming a mainframe, you used assembler
to fit code into memory. One of my first assembler programs was an overlay
loader for an IBM mainframe that had all of 32K of memory. During the Apollo
program, big IBM mainframes had 512K. We wrote type IV SVCs (small transient
modules that had to fit in 4K).

35 years ago the American Airlines SABRE system went on the air for the
first time, and handled 40,000 reservations per day, using dual 64K
mainframes.

I wonder how big a TinyXML parser for handhelds will be (or SML).

Assembler was one an necessary skill -- even for the big beastie mainframes.
I once worked on an overlay loader for a mainframe that had 32K of memory.
During the Apollo program,

People think of mainframe computers as big beast with In Eons ago they were
important because even