XML Application Servers

Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer schnitz at overflow.de
Fri Nov 26 15:11:49 GMT 1999

Hi Mike,

>   >>> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:25:08 +0100,
>   >>> "Matthew" == Matthew Gertner <matthew at praxis.cz> wrote:
>
>   Matthew> A question: who out there is developing applications delivering
>   Matthew> XML from a server platform? How are you doing it?
>
> I'm using XML as part of a Java servlet-driven framework.  The servlets
> implement the control logic, and interact with EJBs which implement
> business logic and DB access.
>
> The servlet collects output data in a hash-table.  Then, I (plan to) run a
> template-processor, which splices this data into existing XML templates,
> constructing an abstract view of the page. The templating system here is
> similar to HTML templating systems like FreeMarker and WebMacro.  Templates
> don't contain logic, just layout.
>
> Finally XSLT transformtion into HTML, rather than delivering XML to the
> client.
>
> Has anyone done something similar?

I watched your conversation on XML-dev. I'm leading the Mozquito
Project and my team is currently planning to develop an IIS
extension and Apache module similar in function as you described.

Our core technology is the transformation of XML into JavaScript.
By doing this, we can process new markup languages in existing
browsers. Currently, we have designed and implemented an XML
grammar called XHTML-FML, which is XML-based HTML 4
(XHTML) with 14 additional Forms Markup Language (FML) tags for
improved web forms and dynamic web pages.

We have extended XHTML so authors do not need to write
additional functionality in JavaScript/VBScript. Instead, dynamic
features are now part of HTML, making it easier to author and
dynamically generate large forms and dynamic web pages on the
server.

Currently, under http://www.mozquito.org, you can download a
client-side editor that allows you to write and validate XHTML-FML,
and when viewing the file in the browser, the XHTML-FML
document is being automatically transformed into cross-browser
JavaScript so that the browser can process the 14 additional tags.

While the editor is targetted to web designer and HTML writers who
wish to develop single, fancy web pages, our next product will be a
server extension. This will allow to transform pure XML into XHTML-
FML via XSL or DSSSL, and then the XHTML-FML is being
transformed into cross-browser JavaScript on-the-fly for optimal
results on version 4 browsers.

FML could be also used to edit XML files in the browser. One could
think of a scenario where normally an XML file is being transformed
into plain XHTML, but when someone uses the "administration
mode", the XML files are transformed into XHTML-FML where every
text and component becomes a textarea or form control. One could
then edit the document in the browser, and send the result via
submit back to the server.

So I justed wanted to ask what your plans are and whether we
could possibly work together on this, since there seems to be quite
some overlap between our two projects?

Thanks,

Sebastian

---