Any conceptual equivalent?

KenNorth KenNorth at email.msn.com
Fri Nov 26 18:11:26 GMT 1999

This bounced back so I'm re-sending. Pardon me if it shows up twice.

> Is there any conceputal equivalent in the world of XML
> to the layered view of protocols that the ISO promulgated
> so long ago?

The ISO communication protocols are layered so that higher-level protocols
build
on, and use, lower-level protocols.  Conceptually they are like a series of
envelopes, with the actual information content contained inside frames
having address information. There is overhead involved in messages -- you
wrap the content with message headers, CRCs, and so on. To get to the core
content, you must extract it from the envelope (the framing data used to
ensure delivery).

XML documents are self-describing. so they contain additional information
besides the core content. You use tags to wrap the core content, so like
message processing, there is a process of extracting the content from its
framing information. Of course, XML can be also sent across the wire -- in
which case it fits in the envelope analogy where you have to strip off CRCs,
etc. before dealing with the XML document.