XML Application Servers

Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer schnitz at overflow.de
Fri Nov 26 21:14:37 GMT 1999

> << Our core technology is the transformation of XML into JavaScript.
>
> Interesting.
>
> The US Department of Defense is considering a ban on JavaScript and VBScript
> (due to hacking), so an XML > HTML transformation would be more appealing to
> DoD webmasters.

True. But the idea of transforming one thing only into another thing
would be the same as HTML 4's one-size-fits-all strategy. An
interesting idea is to develop a presentational XML grammar that is
powerful enough to express the unified functionality of, lets say,
XHTML, SMIL and WML. The pure XML on the server would be
transformed into that Super-XHTML, and from Super-XHTML into
various other presentational markup languages based on the
client's capabilities. The DoD webmasters would automatically see
everything in plain XHTML, where cgi's (perhaps on a proxy server)
would mimik the functionality with round-trips to the server, while
JavaScript-enabled browsers get the same functionality but
completely client-side, which is similar to mobile phones who work
with the notion of a stack of cards in WML (multiple screen pages
inside a single document).

Regards,

Sebastian

---