Why I Hate Palmtops (was: Re: SGML, XML and SML)

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at ebt.com
Sat Nov 27 22:33:03 GMT 1999

> wouldn't you say?  I daresay that no amount of "slightly
> larger display" and higher
> resolution will compensate for this huge discrepancy.

There are some really interesting technologies coming down
the pipeline which will componsate for this. I can see, in
the not too distant future, something with roughly the form
factor of a novel, with the same resolution.

That said, I wonder why everyone thinks jamming XML into a
phone is such a great idea, and I wonder why, when the phones
don't have the hardware needed, the answer is cutting back
XML. Fix the phones first.... the quantum leap in computing
will come from more powerful mobile devices that are
always networked (or close to it), not things like
palm pilots.