Why no ']]>' in CharData?

Joe Lapp jlapp at webmethods.com
Sun Nov 28 03:18:01 GMT 1999

At 05:58 PM 11/27/1999 -0800, Don Park wrote:
>[...]
>I think it is fairly safe to say that SML will not be
>compatible with SGML.

XML parsers are supposed to reject such documents as
ill-formed.  Do we want all wellformed SML to be
wellformed XML?  We have to decide on the requirement.

I'd rather not move technology forward by forever
remaining compatible with previous technology.  If
we lived by this constraint we'd still be using DOS.

But XML is already out there and these problems are
already quite rampant.  If SML/DML (my proposed name
and focus Data Markup Language) is to have any chance
of picking up steam, it will have to start out by being
compatible with existing XML engines.  This is not a
technical issue, it's a pragmatic one.

I think we can get the best of both worlds if we allow
']]>' in SML/DML, but the spec should state that for
compatibility with XML one should express this sequence
as ']]>'.  Escaping should not be required, though.

This would mandate that something external to a document
identify the document as SML/DML or XML.  MIME types
work.  I'd want this distinction anyway, since it would
allow me to optimize for SML/DML when I've got it.  The
parsing and internal data structures would simplify,
and GUI could free the user up from XML's oddities.
--
Joe Lapp              (Looking for some good people to help design
Senior Engineer        and build the Internet's business-to-business