Why no ']]>' in CharData?

Tony Graham tgraham at mulberrytech.com
Sun Nov 28 06:43:27 GMT 1999

At 27 Nov 1999 20:58 -0800, Don Park wrote:
 > >With these rules, < > & are the only entity
 > >references and they are all mandatory.  Very simple.
 > >(If we allow legacy encodings, then we need some
 > >kind of character references as well, presumably &#xnnn; .)
 >
 > Well, you convinced me.  I originally wanted to remove
 > all predefined character entities and rely on just numeric
 > character entities, but I can live with just <, >,
 > and &.

Even if you disallow existing encodings so that SML allows only UTF-8
and/or UTF-16, you should still allow numeric character references so
that you can represent any Unicode character even if you're creating
SML data using Windows Notepad.

If you consider that people won't create SML data and that machines
will, then disallow numeric character references.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham at mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632